Monday, May 1, 2017

Newborn Life



Newborn life is funny. One morning you're thinking your baby will never learn to sleep through the night, and the next morning, you're shocked when you wake up and realize you got 7 hours of sleep!

I'm guilty of complaining about how little sleep I was getting just the other day. I feel bad for complaining when I woke up for the first time this morning at 6 a.m. The night before had been awful with three hours being the longest stretch and two hours was the next longest. I was exhausted and frustrated. But this morning changed everything.

I was entirely shocked to look at my phone and find out it was 6 a.m.! How could that be? My baby slept 7 hours!! What?!

I know it's going to go back and forth for a while until he is older, but this is progress!! It's amazing how I took sleep for granted before kids, but I dream about it now. I'll never take a full 8 hours of sleep for granted again.

I've made a few adjustments to my everyday life since having Roland. Basically, everything I do is done from my phone unless he is sleeping. I try to always work from my computer for work, but it isn't always possible. I texted my brother the other day asking for a recommendation for a portable phone charger.

My phone is usually dead by noon most days. I don't know if my battery is going bad or if I'm spending too much time on my phone while I feed my baby. Haha Maybe a combination of the two?

I've learned once again to cook and prepare food quick while he sleeps. Oh another thing that helps? Keeping up with laundry is one of the most important things. I was getting Roland ready for bed a few nights ago, and I realized I didn't have a clean sleep sack ready. I didn't even have a swaddle blanket... What was I thinking?

If I have all his clothes ready and organized it makes my entire day more stress free! Also, I have found getting ready early in the morning helps too. I don't want to feel like I spent most of the day in my pajamas. I feel horrible when I do that.

I've also realized there are a few things that have helped me transition into newborn life again with ease. iBooks, Audible, Netflix and playlists from Spotify are probably my favorite right now. I can't really read an actual book when I'm holding a baby, but I can hold my phone in one hand and touch the screen to turn the page. Audible is always convenient. I've always loved Netflix. I can't wait for the new season of House of Cards to come out this month!

I'm curious... How have you made newborn life easier for you? How did you wait patiently for your baby to sleep longer consistently?




Little Pink Book

0 Sweet Notes: