Monday, June 13, 2016

Thoughts I have while working from home


I started working from home a couple years before Liam arrived. Things were a little more relaxed back then, but I would also say they are more fun now. Liam helps me create a tight schedule for the day. I enjoy having a schedule. I don't mind at all. If I'm not waking up early, working during a nap time or staying up a little later to finish my work, I have to work while Liam is awake. Granted, I don't have to work during all three times. One or two of those times work well. Thankfully, I'm a morning person. I love starting my day early! I feel like I get more out of my day.

I've learned working while Liam is up isn't a good option. It's nearly impossible to get a good amount of work done with Liam up and around my computer desk. He's at the stage where he wants to hang on my arms or legs or have me hold him. Plus, I feel guilty when he's wanting to hang out or play with me, and I have unfinished work I'm trying to accomplish instead. Things could definitely change once he's older, but I think I'm going to enjoy my early morning and nap time work routine the most.

In the morning when I wake, I have several thoughts running through my head in the form of a checklist. My thoughts are something like this:

*Alarm goes off... Ahhh. I have to wake up already?
*10 minutes later. Better wake up. I need this day to go smoothly.
*Wake up. Grab a cup of water and a granola bar. Head to the computer.
*Schedule the posts that need to be posted soon. Write down several posting ideas.
*Write a to-do list for myself.
*Write a little bit for my blog, one or two of my jobs and for myself.
*Notice Liam is stirring in his crib around 7:30 or 8:00 a.m.
*Get up and go feed the chickens and duck before Liam really wakes up.
*Go back inside and get Liam to start my day. :)

Thoughts I have while Liam is taking a nap:

*Quick go finish up anything I didn't accomplish this morning!
*Scramble to get all my lists and important papers together. (It's surprising how fast you can get organized when you're motivated.)
*Start working on whatever I need to finish. Check my lists again. Find a couple more things to check off my list.
*Realize an hour has passed.
*Get even more serious about work. Find the most important thing to accomplish.
*Finish the necessary items on my to-do list.
*Breathe...
*Realize I finished everything I need to for the day/week. Celebrate!
*Relax for 10 minutes.

This is my biggest balancing act. How do you work at home with a baby? Comment below!




Little Pink Book

0 Sweet Notes: