Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Valentine


The day before Liam was born, Bill and I were hanging out the whole day. It was an awesome lazy Saturday. I had made friends with the couch in the living room and had been sleeping out there for a week, because my body had memorized the pressure points my glider had been pressing on. (I slept in the glider for 3 months. It was wonderful!) Anyway, after we woke up, we went over to the farm for breakfast.

I was 3 days away from due date. I couldn't think about anything else. I was so excited! It wasn't that surprising that I couldn't really talk about anything else without mentioning something about our baby. I feel like life is surreal when you're a few days away from your due date.

I can remember everything I did that day. From the grapefruit I ate for breakfast to the conversation I had with the doctor on call later in the day. It's funny how you can look back on a situation and realize God was orchestrating it all.

That afternoon at 2 p.m., I noticed that my left leg and foot were swelling up significantly more than my right leg. It really freaked me out. I don't like having to call the doctor, because I'm always worried that I'm going to be wasting their time, but I pushed those thoughts away and called the on call line. They told me they would have the doctor call me soon. He called me back a few minutes later, and I explained what was happening. He told me that it was possible there could be a clot, and it could be a life threatening situation. I was a little nervous, but I was so glad I called.

I went to the radiation department an hour later where they gave me an ultrasound of my left leg. It turned out that I didn't have a clot. That left leg just decided to swell up like a balloon. The doctor came in and told me that everything looked okay, but it wasn't a 100 percent. I remember him telling me they would see me Monday for my induction or this weekend if the baby decided to come early. That's the first time I thought I really could be going to the hospital earlier than I thought.

Bill was understanding of me going to get my leg checked out. He picked me up afterwards and we went to a couple of places. He had picked up this area sized rug for Liam's room that had colors that matched the curtains in his room exactly. I loved that rug.

I went to church and then my mom dropped me off at home where I spent the next few hours cleaning and wrapping presents. I was sitting on the rug Bill had just bought in Liam's room wrapping my presents, and I remember getting up and walking to the living room where my water broke. I immediately knew and was so excited. I called to Bill and he got really excited too. He didn't freak out like I did though.

I was running around the house trying to figure out what to bring with and making sure I had everything. I called Labor and Delivery, and they told me to come in. The thing I remember most is that Bill was walking slowly picking up things and taking the time to shave his head before we left. He was doing all that before getting in the car to drive me to the hospital.

In retrospect, it was a great thing that he was THAT calm. At the time, it was really annoying. I was wanting to leave and drive fast to the hospital. It was my first time, and I was pumped. I can't imagine how on edge I would have acted if Bill had of been super anxious like me.

We got in the car to drive to the hospital, and he went the speed limit the whole time. I wasn't having contractions so I knew it would be fine, but I was surprised by his calm attitude.

I remember telling him, "Drive faster!"

And, "Why are you going the speed limit?" hahaa

Now that it's over, I'm glad he went the speed limit and was calm. He's always been my voice of reason.

I love that I can count on him to stay calm even when I'm not. We make a good team, and I'm forever grateful for him.

Love you Bill. :)

Little Pink Book

0 Sweet Notes: