Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Meeting Liam

Our Saturday started a little slow. We were at home lounging around for the most part. I talked to my mom, and she mentioned going to church later that evening. I told her I would go with her. Bill and I had breakfast over at his parent's farm. I remember talking to his family about my scheduled induction that Monday. I was so excited we had a date set, but secretly, I truly desired for the baby to come naturally. I craved that spontaneous birth story!

I couldn't help but think about how I wanted to try and labor without an epidural. I knew it was going to be especially painful since I would be on pitocin, but I also knew I wanted to try it.

Anyway, after we came home and relaxed, I noticed how my left leg and foot was swelling up and getting bigger than my right. I called the on call service for my doctor's office, and they said they would have the doctor on call call me back. When he called me back he mentioned, I should probably come to the hospital and get an ultrasound of my leg. I went there an hour later and got my scan. The doctor I had spoke to came in the room and explained that there wasn't a clot. He made a couple of suggestions to help me and mentioned my scheduled induction. He said we'll see you Monday or earlier depending on the baby. I should have known that there was still the possibility our sweet boy would make an early appearance.

Bill dropped me off at church where I was meeting my mom. After the service, one of my mom's friends came up and talked with us for a bit. When we were about to leave she prayed for me and my baby. She prayed that I would a safe delivery as well. It was so kind of her! 

Later that night I was wrapping presents in the baby's room. After an hour or so of that, I got up and walked to the living room. My water broke when I was walking to our computer. I couldn't have been more shocked. I called to Bill, and he was so surprised. I always remember his smile when I told him. Pure excitement. When I called my mom, she didn't believe me and had to ask Bill if it was really true. Haha

We went to the hospital soon after that. I thought it was pretty comical that I was seeing the same doctor again who I just spoken to about my leg. I knew then that I wasn't going to have my doctor deliver me, but the one on-call was really nice so I was okay. I remember telling the doctor that I wanted to try it naturally, and he was very accommodating.

The nurses gave me four hours to go into labor, but I was continuing to get braxton hicks contractions. They started me on pitocin, and I was on it for 5.5 hours. After a few hours, I started getting really nervous. My fear was making it worse. I started wanting to hold Bill and mom's hand whenever a contraction came. At the 5 hour mark, I was in more pain than I have ever experienced. I was becoming hysterical. I would fall asleep between contractions only to wake up to a pain level of 10. It was insane! I don't know how else to describe it except to say I was writhing in pain.

I had wonderful nurses though. The one who saw me in so much pain told me, "We don't give medals at the end."

I realized then that the pain really wasn't worth it. Plus, I wasn't even halfway along! I had hours left, and there was no way I was going to continue when the pain was only going to get worse. I talked to my mom and Bill who both agreed and encouraged me to get an epidural. It was also hard for them to watch me be in so much pain.

I had an amazing anesthesiologist. who did a great job administering my epidural and giving me the right amount. It didn't hurt at all. My nurse was also amazing and comforting. She let me lay my head on her and grip her sides so I wouldn't move. Those nurses are the best.

I was more than okay after my epidural again. I felt like I regained my mental and physical strength again. It was a little slice of heaven, and I had no guilt over it. I truly think that was gift from God. I labored for four more hours. I could feel the baby moving down, and I knew I was close. When it came to pushing, I could still feel my contractions building (without the pain), and I knew when to push without being prompted. It was the best of both worlds! My doctor was shocked at how fast I was pushing him out, and basically ran out to get ready to deliver. He came back, and delivered our baby soon after that. I was thankful to only push for 35 minutes. I remember him saying I was going to be a good mom. He was so kind.

Everything turned out so well. Thank you, God! Even though, I didn't have my doctor. I had a great one who stayed hours past his shift to deliver me. Meeting our Liam that Sunday morning was surreal and beautiful. Our little guy has stolen our hearts.











Little Pink Book

0 Sweet Notes: