Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Emma Thompson in Saving Mr. Banks




I saw Saving Mr. Banks in the theater, and I bought it a couple of weeks ago.

I've watched it numerous times since then because I found the movie so intriguing.
Emma Thompson plays Mrs. P.L. Travers who wrote Mary Poppins. I absolutely LOVED her character for many reasons. She's strong, determined, smart, direct, and possesses a lot of self awareness. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to voice it.

I found the story behind the making of Mary Poppins interesting to say the least. The viewer finds out throughout the movie that the story she wrote is based on her own life. The movie switches back and forth between present day where she is working with Walt Disney (and his staff) to her childhood.
I was surprised to learn there was a lot of sadness behind the story of Mary Poppins. Mrs. Travers grew up with an alcoholic farther and a mother who was overwhelmed with it all. She had two younger sisters. The family's problems progressed throughout the movie, and then Mary Poppins swooped in one day to save Mr. Banks. 

The relationship Mrs. Travers had with her dad was really sweet. Even though he wasn't responsible as an adult, he was the one who played with her and was her friend. Those scenes in the movie with them interacting were some of my favorite parts.

I also adored Tom Hanks in this movie. He plays Walt Disney in it, and he's wonderful! Also, it was nice to have B.J. Novak play a bigger role in the movie since I loved his character in The Office. He worked for Walt Disney and had some comical interactions with Emma Thompson.

Have you seen Saving Mr. Banks? What do you like most about it?


Little Pink Book

1 Sweet Notes:

Fran said...

I adored this movie, granted I adore Mary Poppins so I might be bias. One thing that sort of bothered me is how they don't really talk about the fact that Mrs. Travers wasn't happy with how the Mary Poppins turned out