Monday, January 6, 2014

My Word for the Year



This year beckons the start of several new changes even without the hassle of brainstorming new year's resolutions. In September this past year, I started working as a freelance writer and reporter. Now, I have two writing jobs, and I'm looking to add a third.

I've been thinking a lot about what this career offers. I make my own hours. Major bonus. I can pitch my own stories at times and write about different things. Ultimately, I am doing what I love....Writing. It feels awesome to use my degree in English and Journalism the way I wanted to since I graduated almost four years ago. Right now, there aren't a lot of negatives. I'm really grateful for that.

Don't let me deceive you though. This career takes a bunch of personal initiative. You have to be self motivated during the day. You have to manage your own time to keep up with assignments.

I have always considered myself a planner, but I'm finding that I still need to tweak a few things to manage my time better during the day. I've come up with different schedules for different days of the week.

When I get new assignments, I have found that I like to schedule the first half of the day for researching and writing for those assignments. I feel more comfortable making those a priority, and then I save the afternoon for searching out different story ideas and other writing jobs that I could add to my workload.

On days that I'm caught up with my writing, I might start the day off researching new things to write about and different opportunities that are available. I also tend to start the day off by reading.

I've discovered that reading books regularly is important to me. I heard time and time again in my English classes that good writers also read all the time. You have to read in order to write well. I'm a firm believer in that. With the help of blogger's suggestions and my sister's suggestions, I have found great books to read recently. I'm currently reading A House in the Sky: a memoir. I had started it and stopped for a bit. I got to a point where the main character, a journalist, gets kidnapped, and I can't put the book down. I'm hoping to write a review this week.

After that book, I'm planning on reading the Divergent series. I can't wait! I've heard so many good things about those books.

Since, I love what I'm doing I have found that I enjoy creating my schedule and managing my own work. Of course, there are days where I need to motivate myself. Initiative truly is my word for 2014.


Little Pink Book

2 Sweet Notes:

Jenna said...

I am so happy for you, Natalie! As a fellow English major, I cannot help but get excited whenever I hear of another one getting to use her skills in the real world! :) Definitely a blessing!

That would be tough managing your own schedule and keeping on task- glad to hear you are finding a great routine that works for you!

Fran said...

I keep hearing about A House in the Sky, I think I'll definitely have to add it on my to be read list!