Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Anyone Else a ISFJ

“Introverts, in contrast, may have strong social skills and enjoy parties and business meetings, but after a while wish they were home in their pajamas. They prefer to devote their social energies to close friends, colleagues, and family. They listen more than they talk, think before they speak, and often feel as if they express themselves better in writing than in conversation. They tend to dislike conflict. Many have a horror of small talk, but enjoy deep discussions.” 
Susan Cain

My results to the Jung typology test came at no surprise to me. The makers of this test have me perfectly pegged as the ISFJ (Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging personality type) that I am at heart. The results were so accurate that it almost scares me a little, if that makes sense? The first line of the description of a ISFJ, describes this personality type as defined by their "need to be needed." Uh, I think they took the words from my mouth.

Some people might read that line ("need to be needed") and automatically assume that this personality type is someone who is very codependent. Well, they're wrong. Yes, I like being needed, but I also know my boundaries (even though they are hard to define at times). For instance, I like helping my mom or other family members. When my mom asks me to let the dog out because she's getting home late, I readily accept the request without thinking of my prior obligations, most of the time. I like being helpful, even if that means planning a portion of my day out around her in order to help out.

Another thing that defines this type? Their methodical workers. I enjoy putting a lot of time into my work to ensure that I've done the job just right. I also love having interactions with close friends and coworkers throughout the day.

I make myself available to my close friends for a advice at a moments notice. I don't see it as a burden but as something that makes me happy to do. I love helping my friends and family out. I feel important when they ask me to do things. If they need advice, I am ready to offer it, sometimes without their request.

It goes without saying that, family and a strong work ethic are of utmost important to this personality.

"While their work ethic is high on the ISFJ priority list, their families are the centers of their lives. ISFJs are extremely warm and demonstrative within the family circle--and often possessive of their loved ones, as well." 
I've always recognized myself as a family person. They are first. I'm also known for having a few close friends and not a whole lot of acquaintances.

"Like most Is, ISFJs have a few, close friends. They are extremely loyal to these, and are ready to provide emotional and practical support at a moment's notice. (However, like most Fs they hate confrontation; if you get into a fight, don't expect them to jump in after you. You can count on them, however, run and get the nearest authority figure.) Unlike with EPs, the older the friendship is, the more an ISFJ will value it." 

I have friends that I've had since childhood and most of them were a friend to me first. They have hearts of gold and really have always been there for me. My now-husband was the first one to reach out to me in the beginning of our relationship. I was quite and shy at first, but when he got to know me he realized that wasn't how I really am. It was fun to see his reactions when he discovered I really wasn't quite at all.

There are few words that come to mind (to describe myself) after completing this test: Loyal, intuitive, methodical, and introverted.

I'm defined by my "need to be needed" and my love for my family and friends. Those words couldn't be any truer.

{Image via We Heart It}
---------

Not interested in taking the test? Check out these Harry Potter characters to find out which one you are most like! I'm the Defender in this case. Ha

{Copy and paste the link for a larger image: http://24.media.tumblr.com/765632a34986b518fb3f82e304cb351/tumblr_mpwedjbUzm1sr50suo1_r1_1280.jpg)



Little Pink Book

1 Sweet Notes:

lauren said...

I'm an ISFJ too!! I took this test back when I was 14 years old and when I saw you post this, I decided to take the test again because a lot has changed since I was 14! So I took it again and I'm still and ISFJ. Crazy! I was surprised it hadn't changed. Nice to know of another ISFJ out there :)