Monday, June 10, 2013

Unreliable Frosting and a Disappointing Cake

Yesterday, I tried baking a Chocolate Strawberry Nutella Cake from the Pioneer Woman's blog. Everything went well till I made the frosting.... Ugh. I should have known. The frosting calls for 2 cups of heavy cream and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar. It whipped up just fine, but I may have over churned it. I'm not sure. The consistency of the frosting is like melting cool whip after 30 min. She says you need to serve it within an hour of assembling it which I did.
I took this picture five minutes after everything was on the poor pitiful cake. The frosting is a very wet frosting that doesn't help the cake stick together at all. On her blog, she has a picture of a four layer version of this cake that fell over. Here's the picture. I usually love everything I try from her, but this one was a no go simply because of the frosting.
I almost want to try this cake with the vanilla cream cheese frosting I used with the cupcakes I made a couple of weeks ago. That was fantastic.
An hour after making the cake, I noticed all the frosting was sliding off the cake. Oh well. I'll count this cake as a lesson in using my own judgement. Stupid frosting.


Photobucket

0 Sweet Notes: