Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Special Moment

Happy Mother's Day to everyone! This post is a special request by my mom. It's been almost a year that her dad died, and she wanted me to write down the moments we had with him before he died, specifically the day before he passed. Here's to you, mom! I love you so very much.

My grandpa (my mom's dad) didn't have many hours left to live. I was working my full time job and getting ready in the morning when my mom called me to let me know that I should come see him if I was able to. I knew it wasn't going to be long before we would say goodbye to him. I left a message with my boss letting her know, I wouldn't be in that day. I was actually at my mom's house when she called from Dundee, where my grandpa lived. (I stopped by my mom's in the morning on my way to work, almost everyday to visit with them.) Megan was there that day. I told her I was going to leave to see him. She said she would come later.

A little history: My family had been estranged from my mom's side for a while. I had memories of my grandpa from when I was younger. I held them dear to my heart since most of the memories were from when I was very young. I had also written letters to him when I was twelve or thirteen after my grandma had passed away. He always wrote back. Even though he hadn't been a part of my entire life, I still felt some attachment to him. After all, he is my mom's dad.

I drove to his house in Dundee right away. My arms and legs were shaking a little as I drove.

I knew I didn't have much time left to talk to him. After not having much time with him in general, I was hoping we would have a meaningful visit.

One where we could all talk to him.

My aunt Amy greeted me when I got there. She could tell I was shaking as well. After a few hours of me being there, we all went to sit with him in the back room. My aunt could tell he wanted to talk so she gave him oxygen.

Mom was sitting across from me when she asked him, "Can I read some verses to you, dad?"

He responded, "They expect you to."

He said that without hesitating. This was after he told us he was talking to Jesus. I got the chills and goosebumps covered my arms and legs. I felt like God was giving us all a gift by witnessing my Grandpa be more connected to God.

My mom read several verses after that. I watched my Grandpa and my mom as she read.  I could tell my mom knew that God was speaking to her dad in his last days, but she read from the Bible like she always does with confidence and a knowledge that you can just sense. While she was reading them, she looked up at her dad. 

My Grandpa was smiling and looked really joyful. At one point, he even giggled. A laugh that expressed pure happiness. His attention was directed towards the corner of the room.

My mom stopped reading and asked, "What do you see dad?"

"Don't you see their wings?" he asked.

He was overjoyed in that moment. Staring at the corner of the room, he was happily staring at angels. Angels!

I stared at the corner of the room and then back at my Grandpa. I couldn't see them, but I knew he could. I remember my aunt Amy nudging me and gave me a look that said, "Can you believe this?"

I definitely believed it.

My mom was amazed as well. We all kept looking at my Grandpa. You could see the beauty of the angels in his eyes.

Yes, he had cancer and wasn't doing well. He had hours to live on this Earth. None of that mattered when he was looking at those angels. God was preparing him for a life with him. A life where he wouldn't get sick or die. A life where we are happy and joyous. There will be no pain or struggle like there is on Earth.

I held onto that moment in the days ahead. Things were rough between family relationships days after that and hurtful things were said. None of that mattered though. In comparison to what we had seen though, that stuff really didn't matter. I was so grateful that we all got to experience God speaking to my Grandpa. I can't believe I've been in the presence of angels. Thank you Lord for that. You amaze me.

************************************************************************************

Happy Mother's Day, mom! Thank you for teaching me about Jesus and his love for us. My life wouldn't be as full or lovely without you. Love you!

Photobucket

0 Sweet Notes: