Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Fun Visit


Each time my dad comes home, I always get so excited and when he comes home I end up getting all teary eyed. I can never seem to hold back the tears.

This time my brother was with me when we he left his house Sunday night. I like having him with me. He asked me, "Are you OK?" I usually respond with, "I don't know." Sometimes he also jokes around with me to try to get me to laugh, and I love that he does that for me.

I'm not sure why I get so emotional when he leaves, but I just really want to have those moments where we are hanging out regularly. It's very hard having a family member living so far away, but I always adjust back to it as much as I can.

Yesterday, my brother and I headed over to his house in the afternoon to hang out with him. We had a great time watching Pink Panther (the old movies) and True Grit (one of our favorites). I sorted and filed some of his papers for him while I watched the movies and later we had lasagna for dinner.

The day before that, I had gone over to his house to hang out and cooked a pizza. We had a spur of the moment shopping trip to the outlet mall. We both had some errands to run there. We were walking around and shopping at different stores. I loved doing something so normal and routine with him. It truly was like old times. :) Also, I totally didn't expect him to help me buy a purse at Fossil, but he did. It was a very sweet surprise that I didn't really expect.

I realized something after he left to go back to Afghanistan. I realized that this distance really has made us closer and more thankful for each moment we have together. I never would have chosen to have him this far away, but I'm glad that he was given this adventure. I'm also thankful that we have a closer relationship.

Life changes so fast sometimes, but I am glad that I can adjust to the changes.

I want to make the most of each moment I have with each of my family members. I feel like I did exactly that with this visit. We had dinner at our house, many dinners out to eat and at his house, watched movies, shopped, and hung out with each other.

I am very thankful for what God has given me. These visits are so important to me. :)



Photobucket

1 Sweet Notes:

R. W. High said...

You guys look great together! This has been an awesome experience for your dad and although hard for both of you, sounds like love and bonds have truly been strengthened in the process. He'll be home soon, for good!