Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pockets of Grief


I feel like I haven't been doing anything that I regularly do lately. Everything that I used to do, doesn't feel the same right now. My Grandpa passed away last Tuesday after battling cancer for a few years. I've been wanting to write about him for days. I just feel that anything I write won't accurately express how grateful I am for the time I had with him. This past year, I was able to see him throughout the whole year, and I loved it.

I kept on thinking, I didn't get enough time with him. When I went to his visitation, I walked into the room with my cousin, and some of the first words out of my mouth were, "I didn't get enough time." I wanted more time so desperately. My cousin responded with, "You got the whole last week with him." She's right too. There were two days that I got to spend the whole day with him. It was absolutely wonderful. At one point he told me, "I got to be your Grandpa this year." I felt really loved by him when he said that.

My mom also got to spend a lot of good time with him. He was her dad. The picture above is from when we visited him at his house in March. I'm going to remember all the time I had with him, and the visits that I had with him and my family. It truly was a wonderful gift.

3 Sweet Notes:

Gail @ Sophisticated Steps said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Natalie. I know how hard that is. You are so blessed to have had him for so many years. (I never knew either one of my Grandpas.) Treasure all those memories. I'll be praying for you and your family in the days ahead. It's okay to grieve and it's okay to not know what to say or how to feel.

Thinking of you...

Melisande said...

natalie, i'm so sorry for your loss. i know how much it hurts to lose a loved one. i'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. XOXO

Fran said...

I'm so sorry Natalie, I know how much it hurts to lose a grandfather you were close with. Treasure all the memories<3