Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Living with less.

 
It all started this past Friday. I decided I wanted to hold myself accountable for everything that I spend. I wanted to figure out if my purchases were mostly needs or wants...

I literally figured out what the majority of my paycheck would go to on a note card. In some way, I felt better about spending the money I did if I knew what I was spending it on. I felt responsible about putting money towards my student loan payment, gas for the week, my phone bill, and other adult things. I'm fortunate to have a small loan to pay off from my years at college. It also helps that I don't pay rent. My small amount of expenses could also be the reason why I feel like I waste some of the money I make. Anyways, I realized that I spend money on frivolous things that I could do without.

I have a habit of buying lip gloss. I have too many already. Occasionally, I like buying movies, magazines, or other media related things. All of those things start to add up, and I want to make a conscious effort to reduce that spending each month.

My random purchases are more centered around the previously mentioned items than anything else. I hardly spend any money on clothes anymore. I used to like picking out clothes to wear a few years ago, but now, I dread clothes shopping. I can't remember the last time I picked out a shirts or jeans from the store. Pretty clothes have definitely lost their appeal to me. This doesn't mean that I don't occasionally buy a shirt oh every three to six months. That's all the patience I can afford with buying clothes. I guess I should probably count that as a blessing. :)

To be continued...

Do ever struggle with cutting back on spending?

4 Sweet Notes:

Gail @ Sophisticated Steps said...

Cutting back has not only been a choice in a lot of areas, but a necessity. In this economy, a house, boat, 2 large (gas-guzzling) cars, three kids, three college plans we're already paying for, the list goes on...it all adds up. We don't spend much at all on entertainment (hardly ever go out to eat. Movies? What are those?) At the same time, every one of us in this country, regardless of the size of our home or make of our car, are all so blessed. We are RICH compared to others. We are frivolous and spoiled. It's no wonder the rest of the world looks down on us. We are a self-centered nation.

For me personally, the more I turn my eyes to the Lord and focus less on myself, the more I realize how little I truly NEED and how I can be serving others who do.

kristyn ellen said...

Do I struggle with this? YES! Like with the little things, like lipgloss. Who needs 5 different kinds of lotion? I had to explain to myself that I reaaaally didn't. :)

lushdeez said...

I think everyone struggles with this! Unless they're filthy stinking rich. I know I do! Just yesterday I made myself a register of my bank account minus all bills and decided to keep a mirror image of my bank account through out these next two weeks until I'm paid again. I want to be completley aware of what I'm buying, how much it is, and how much I will have left over. So far so good.

PAying more attention to your purchases definitely helps keep self control of your own budget. Good luck to you! (and me haha)

xo, kimberly
http://lushdeez.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

Cutting back on spending is so hard. I've found it to be less painful if you have something that you're trying to save up for - it makes to easier to say no to the frivolous purchases! Keeping track of your spending is the best way to get started, so I'd say you're heading in the right direction! It's kind of scary to see where most of your money goes, once you start really writing things down...