Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Refusing to Doubt Myself

I haven't done as much training as I have wanted for the half marathon. The month of July was almost painful with how hot it was, and I didn't always feel like running, but yesterday, I ran a long run, 8.5 miles. I had a small window of opportunity where it wasn't raining, and I grabbed it. I started out fast, because I was so excited to run. I know that is going to happen during the race if that happens during training. I started settling into my normal pace about a mile into it. It felt good to be out there and everything. I even ran with my running belt to get a feel for it. I love those things.

On the way back home, it was starting to get dark, and I was panicking if I heard a noise I couldn't pin point. I know I was running faster on the way home, since I was getting scared about the sun going down. I need to get reflectors. My thumb was also throbbing due to slamming it in my car door on Friday. There were a few things I learned from this run.


- I needed to be pushing myself harder a while ago. 

- I learned 8.5 miles doesn't seem that long. Happy about this one.

- Running belts aren't annoying if worn properly.

- Swollen fingers kill when they start to throb and you're running.

- I want to run several more miles next time.

- I can't believe I'm actually doing this.










Photobucket

8 Sweet Notes:

Rebecca said...

Good for you! I would never be able to do this! Good luck with the rest of your training :)

Sarah Kate said...

It's coming up soon isn't it? :o) You're going to do great. Best part is, if you're not happy with your time, you can just run another one and improve it! :o) Marathons don't have to be a one-time-only deal.

What does your running belt do? The only thing I run with is my Garmin watch that helps me pace myself and keep track of my mileage.

Jenna said...

You are amazing Natalie!!! I would have an extremely difficult time running 8.5 miles!

Keep up the great work! :)

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

good luck!!

and that's a pretty motivating picture :)

Sam @ fitness food & faith

Faith said...

that is so awesome! that picture makes me want to go running!

Gentri said...

Thank you so much for following my blog!! :) It made my day! And I applaud you for training for a half marathon! I WILL do that one day!! Hopefully sooner rather than later... And I can only imagine how bad your thumb hurt... ouch!

Riley said...

You should try using Dailymile.com! I use it to log my runs and exercises and it's so motivating to see your progress :) It'll keep track of your mileage, your burned calories, and (for a bit of fun) how many donuts or burgers you've burned off! :)

Good luck with your training!

Leah said...

You can do it girl! :) I'm running a half marathon in October and so far the longest I've gone is 5 miles- but I'm excited to get to the longer runs! What is a running belt? I've never heard of that before!